Are You Proud? | Ashley Joiner's LGBTQI+ Documentary Is Asking All The Questions We Won't LGBTQI+ rights and their attached histories are rife with passion. Ashley Joiner’s ponderous documentary, Are You Proud? casts a lens over every hue of the rainbow by bringing to light the past of our community’s struggles for acceptance and understanding.
The project focuses on the grounds of sexual orientation, gender identity, sex characteristics and gender expression. The project is designed around Malta’s unique situation in the LGBTIQ+ field whereby in the past 5 years, Malta has passed several important laws thereby placing it at the forefront of the LGBTIQ+ rights. Given the significant changes which came about in a relatively short time span, NCPE has identified the need to address the societal and cultural impact.
The campaign funded by the Malta LGBTI Community Awards 2015 aims to:
1) Encourage people to talk about the subject.
2) Remind people to play safely and responsibly.
3) Encourage people to get tested to know their status and get treatment if needed.
(Studies show that 9/10 SAIs (sexually acquired infections) are acquired via people who do not know their status as people who know their status and are being treated are less likely to infect others)
4) Challenge misconceptions and stigma around these issues.
5) Reduce the alarming increase in SAI transmission. (A study by arc shows that a trend of 57% HIV annual increase in MSM has been ongoing since 2009. Currently 5+ new HIV cases per month are being detected)
As an employer, you have a legal obligation to ensure that all your staff, regardless as to whether they propose to undergo, are undergoing, or have undergone gender reassignment, do not suffer discriminatory treatment at work, and it’s best practice to ensure that all trans staff are able to reach their full potential. Our tips in this document will guide you.